EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR | Annapolis, Maryland
The Maryland League of Conservation Voters (Maryland LCV) and the Maryland League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (Maryland LCV Ed Fund) are looking for a visionary, strategic, and collaborative leader with a proven record of forging lasting relationships with diverse stakeholders, experience managing an organization, demonstrated fundraising skills, and a strong commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and justice.
The Maryland League of Conservation Voters (Maryland LCV) is a non-partisan, non-profit organization that champions policies and candidates that promote a clean and healthy environment for all Maryland’s citizens.
The Maryland League of Conservation Voters Education Fund (Maryland LCV Ed Fund) provides research, education, and voter participation services statewide. Through the nationally recognized CHISPA (“Spark”) Program, Maryland LCV Ed Fund works to bring environmental education to urban immigrant/communities of color.
Based in Annapolis, MD, the two organizations share staff, space, and administration.
Maryland LCV and the Maryland LCV Ed Fund serve as the epicenter of environmental advocacy and education for Maryland, collaborating with a diverse array of environmental and conservation advocacy groups to:
- Convene stakeholders and partners to make shared strategy and define goals.
- Ensure that state environmental policy serves all Marylanders regardless of race, gender, income, sex, faith, orientation, geography, or previous incarceration.
- Coordinate legislative lobbying efforts on environmental issues.
- Educate the public on the records of legislators and the state government.
- Educate elected officials about environmental issues, impacts, and policies.
- (Specific to Maryland LCV) Provide political expertise for the environmental community and work to elect candidates who support a clean environment.
About the job:
The Executive Director reports to the separate Board of Directors of both organizations and is responsible for:
- Building and managing relationships with environmental leaders, state officials and legislators, diverse communities across Maryland, donors, the board, and the staff.
- Raising and increasing an annual budget in excess of $1 million, including through personal cultivation and direct solicitation of both individual donors and foundations.
- Providing strategic insight both long-range and on a day-to-day basis; initiating inclusive strategic planning processes and ensuring implementation of the resulting plans.
- Deepening and fulfilling the organization’s commitment to equity and inclusion as a foundational practice and culture.
- Efficient and effective management and mentorship of staff.
- Management of all operations and systems, including a combined budget in excess of $1 million.
Other specific responsibilities include:
- Overseeing design and implementation of programs.
- Ensuring operations comply with all laws and regulations.
- Communicating the organization’s mission, goals, and positions in multiple venues.
- Facilitating Board communications.
- Proven strategic leadership and ability to engage allies, stakeholders, and funding partners.
- At least 3 years of experience in a responsible leadership position supervising staff and budget.
- Upbeat, optimistic, inclusive, and empathetic leadership style. Patient and clear-eyed under pressure and when working with passionate voices.
- Experience with direct solicitation major donor fundraising.
- Politically savvy, passionate about environmental issues, and committed to a cleaner Maryland.
Preferred candidates also bring
- Awareness of your own cultural identity and biases, and ability to work across differences, including varying cultural and community norms.
- Election or legislative campaign experience.
- Knowledge of how to build a diverse, inclusive organization that focuses on its goals through an equity lens.
- Experience and/or knowledge of environmental policy.
Maryland LCV and the Maryland LCV Ed Fund provide competitive compensation and benefits. A starting salary of $110,000 - $130,000 and three weeks of paid vacation, are both negotiable based on experience. Benefits include: Health and dental insurance, flex spending, and a 401 K plan.
Position Requirements: This is a full-time leadership position based in Annapolis. Evening and weekend hours are required to be successful. Occasional multi-day national travel anticipated.
To Apply: Send a cover letter and resume to MarylandExecSearch@USA.com by July 15, 2019. Please send electronic copies ONLY. Hard copies will not be considered
Questions: Please contact Cormac Flynn at (212) 777-4311
All applicants and information received will be held in confidence. Maryland LCV and the Maryland LCV Ed Fund are Equal Opportunity Employers