CHISPA MARYLAND COMMUNITY ORGANIZER
- Work closely with the Program Director to identify and implement strategies that successfully recruit volunteers and build grassroots leaders;
- Conduct new outreach to recruit volunteers through door-knocking, presentations, one-on-one’s and phone calls that results in a growing volunteer base;
- Conduct leadership trainings for volunteer leaders to grow their advocacy and organizing skills;
- Organize volunteers’ participation in grassroots events such as neighborhood meetings, media events and forums
- Use and create content for online engagement such as social media posts, blogs, graphics, etc;
- Develop relationships and partnerships with community organizations and leaders;
- Represent the organization during networking events, partner meetings and other events.
- 1+ years community, issue, labor, or political organizing, preferably within the Latino community;
- Enthusiasm and a commitment to building the voice and leadership of Latino communities in Maryland and a strong interest in environmental activism;
- Able to implement key organizing and campaign strategies like door-to-door canvassing, phone banking and public speaking;
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English and Spanish;
- Ability to prioritize and effectively manage multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment;
- Willingness to learn, be adaptable in a variety of situations and be a problem-solver;
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite.
Maryland LCV and LCV Education Fund are Maryland's leading statewide environmental advocacy organizations. We work in Annapolis to pass pro-conservation legislation and engage conservation minded voters on Election Day and beyond to hold elected officials accountable. The internships begin on a rolling basis on January 5th and end around May 30th.. The internship is 10-20 hours a week. Occasional trips to Annapolis may be required. Interns must have reliable transportation and access to the internet and attend all three seminars.
Interns must also be comfortable talking on the phone. Some evening and weekend hours are required to attend/ staff events. Candidate must be comfortable on the phone, strong writing skills and ability to work independently.
Legislative- Annapolis – with remote work
-Reports to the Political Director
-Participate in legislative work
-Assist in coalition meetings, and events
-Research legislators, and environmental issues
Fundraising Research & Writing– Baltimore/ Annapolis
-Reports to the Development Director
-Research donors and foundations
-Helps develop written materials including grants
Skills required: detail oriented, experience with Microsoft Excel and Google Docs, strong writing skills, ability to work independently
-graphic design experience a plus
Event Planning - Baltimore/ Annapolis
-Reports the Development Director
-phone calls for confirmation calls
- assisting with assembling and mailing invites
- graphic design experience a plus
- may work with board members
Skills required: comfortable interacting with vendors & extremely organized
Media Coverage and Communications- Annapolis
-Reports to Communications Manager
-Create content for social media and website
-Ability to learn CRM and social media platforms
-Monitor local news sources for Maryland LCV coverage
-Draft press releases, blog posts, emails, and other online and print content
-Graphic design ability
Water Multimedia Design and Communications Intern Annapolis/Statewide
-Reports to Water Policy Advocate
- Develop creative multimedia messages
- Help create or edit materials for publications
- Improve layout, designs, and messaging of water and diversity related campaigns.
-Artists and graphic designers encouraged to apply.
Chispa - Baltimore/ Langley Park/ Annapolis
- Reports to Chispa Director
- Assist in development of messaging, communications, and campaign strategy
- Assist in community engagement efforts
- Attend local events and outreach opportunities
- Help coordinate and run volunteer activities
- Help design flyers and communications for events
- Spanish fluency preferred but not necessary
Clean Water Policy / Chesapeake Bay Advocacy- Annapolis/Statewide
-Reports to Water Policy Advocate
-Help coordinate campaign activities of environmental organizations
-Assist in development of messaging, communications, and campaign strategy
-Attend coalition and government meetings
-Environmental policy or communications background
Skills Required: Detail oriented, ability to juggle a variety of tasks at once, experience with Microsoft Excel and Google Docs. Ability to generate concise memorandums (memos), letters, and detailed reports.
Preferred (but not required) skills: Policy research and meeting facilitation experience is a plus. Watershed, conservation, and/or environmental science knowledge is an added bonus but not necessary. Experience and/or familiarity with Maryland state political arena desired but not required.