A Constitutionally Protected Right to a Safe, Healthy Environment
Rights embedded in our founding documents - to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness - are threatened by a damaged environment. Development without consideration of human health is a danger to every Marylander's freedom to enjoy pure water, clean air, and healthy communities now and in the next generation.
The Healthy Green Maryland Amendment explicitly protects your right to a healthy environment now and in the future by enshrining it in the state declaration of rights.
Why a Green Amendment?
In the face of an uncertain federal landscape, Maryland needs to take steps now to defend our right to a healthy environment. We have the chance to become the third state to adopt a Green Amendment to protect our future including:
- rural and urban communities
- chemically sensitive children and seniors
- our economic future, wealth generation and home values
- coastal wetlands and old growth forests
A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT IS THE STRONGEST PROTECTION A STATE PROVIDES. MARYLAND MUST ACT NOW TO PROTECT ITS FUTURE.
The bill proposes lasting protections for breathable air, drinkable water, and makes the state a fiduciary for equal access to a healthy environment for present and future generations of Marylanders. This bill supports:
- reaching the State mandated RPS
- human health, eonomic stability and clean renewable jobs
- development of a road map for judging harms & creation of solutions on climate
- values of environmental justice and climate protection into the state's constitution